Sunday 18 March 2012

Thanks for the Memories...


In a few posts I have mentioned my love of the Letterman/baseball jacket, which has since had a fashion resurgence of late. My uncle read these posts and emailed a story about an Ivy League style jacket he owned. 

Certain items of clothing hold great, and unfortunately, grievous memories for us. I for one can admit to donating to charity perfectly lovely items of clothing, casting them out due to one vile memory or another.

Sure, we keep wedding dresses and the like, but there’s nothing like seeing a photo from a wonderful time and reminiscing about the outfit. Or, buying a vintage item and finding an old bus stub or movie ticket, hoping that the previous owner has had a happy life. (Must admit that I am not brave enough to put my hands deep inside a second-hand jacket – you never know what you might find! Having a young boy trains you for that – little boy’s pockets tend to be filled with things of a slimy nature). 

Below is my uncle’ story:

I have been following your blog with interest and note your interest in Ivy League garb. Back in the Ice Age when I was a jazz club owner I wore a striped Ivy League coat bought in Collins Street. It was my favourite jacket for years, but in the end it wore out. 
In London in the early Seventies I found another similar jacket. I wore it to a Fulham Pub and a Brit asked me if it was an Australian coat. When I told him I bought it that very day at Austin Reed, he sniffed the air and said " I didn't know AR sold clothes like that" That coat got me to the Eighties. I even wore it to a Fiftieth birthday party where an old friend said, "good God, are you still wearing that bloody jacket" thinking it was the original Fifties blazer. Alas it too died of old age. 
Then I had none, but a few years ago I saw a Calibre Ivy League coat in an ad. I rushed into town and sidled casually into the Calibre shop, trying unsuccessfully to look as if I belonged amongst the razor thin black clad unisex customers. "For my son" I told the nonchalant young thing who served me. I love it but Pir hates it. "You look like something out of Downton Abbey", she says. I wore it Saturday when I went out to dinner with your mother. The restaurant hung the jacket. Pir said sotto voce to Margaret 'With a bit of luck he will forget it". I didn't.

Here is a photo of him (third from the left) in the first coat:


Patrik :)

No comments:

Post a Comment