Tuesday 8 May 2012

The temperature's dropped, the pinot's poured...

The temperatures dropped, the pinot’s poured and the heater is emitting that faint burning smell that wafts from it when it hasn’t been used for a year.

So I am thinking "sweaters" as I sit here in my Uggs, American Apparel leggings and vintage “Ski-Vail” wind-cheater. (“Cheating the Wind” - sounds like a line from a John Denver song...suitably wintery). Aside from the itchiness that sometimes ensues from pure wool, a sweater is the ultimate “comfort” fashion item.

I have fond memories of a Kookai jumper picked up in Covent Garden, London, in 1994. It was quite collegiate looking – raspberry red with a diamond pattern and deep v-neck. I remember walking home one evening from my waitressing job at the Famous 3 Kings pub, past the kebab shop (which was rumoured to have been frequented by Simon Lebon) to my share flat with the red door and soggy floors and I just felt on top of the world. I was poor but full of hope.

Although my wardrobe was sparse one of my roommates commented that I was one of the best-dressed backpackers she’d ever met! In conjunction with my sweater I also purchased black wool pants and a blazer from Kookai (remember it was quite très chic in the mid nineties!). I would pair this with a Versace-style patterned silk scarf from a northern Italian street stall tied at my neck. It all sounds pretty diabolical now but I felt quite smart at the time catching the tube to Saville Rowe where I worked as a receptionist for a modelling agency. I spent most of the day measuring people's height and showing them the door. The owner occasionally called me a “miserable little trollop” as I bounded up the stairs each morning. (I’ve since checked the definition of “trollop” and can confirm that I was neither vulgar nor disreputable!).

I'll sign off with a favourite photo of Marilyn Monroe in her Mexican sweater taken by George Barris in 1962 on Santa Monica Beach.
image from http://missingmarilyn.tumblr.com/

In contrast, the beautiful Daria Werbowy modeled a modern take on this for the Stefanel Fall 2010 campaign, shot by Mario Testino:

More sweater love is on the way - I'm thinking Jenny Kee eighties knits and Lisa Bonet buffalo girl style cardigans!

No comments:

Post a Comment