Monday 16 January 2012

Gas Food Rest


I just had a mini-getaway with my son, N. 

Situated on the beach, the tourist site was full of chalets that had been customised by their owners - ranging from the "classic sea-side" style to what can only be called "garden gnome extravaganza". 





The setting reminded me of the 1992 film "Gas Food Lodging", starring Ione Skye. Oh how I loved her red "Letterman" jacket and brunette waves. On a visit to Prahran in Melbourne in the early 90s I purchased a vintage maroon jacket just like it (yes, there is that colour again - see previous post!) which I wore to the dance clubs of that era.




Places that remind us of long ago can be heart-warming. Our chalet was stacked with floral chintz complete with a kettle that required a good descale! The walls were sponged in corn-flour blue and the bed heads had side tables attached in glossy melamine - very Laura Ashley circa 1983. All that was missing was a cane peacock chair and a parlour palm.





The night before our departure I had slept terribly and before checking in to the chalet I spoke to my mother disclosing my fears. "Just relax, let me do some of the worrying for you", she said. Although I didn't want her to carry around my anxiety I took great comfort in those words. The world seemed very large at that moment with the ocean stretched out before me.

So N and I rested and although it was only one night away from home I felt like I turned the corner. 



No comments:

Post a Comment